I eat granola bars almost every day. It is a quick, easy snack for when I am on the go, especially when I am in between jobs. It is definitely better than eating a something that isn’t healthy, like a bag of chips. So I had a thought, why don’t I just make my own! After doing some research I decided on this recipe and realized these will be healthier than the ones I buy from the grocery store. You only need 5 ingredients to make these granola bars too!!!
What you will need:
- 2/3 cup of Coconut Oil
- 2/3 cup of Peanut Butter (I used the same Organic Peanut Butter that I used for Bella’s Peanut Butter Dog Treats)
- 2/3 cup of Honey
- 2 1/2 cups of Rolled Oats
- 1 cup of Chocolate Chips
- In a microwave safe bowl/container, microwave your coconut oil, peanut butter, and honey for about 30 seconds
- Be sure that your coconut oil is in liquid form after heating
- Mix together until smooth
- Next, in a large bowl, mix together your oats and chocolate chips
- Add in your peanut butter, coconut oil, and honey mixture (make sure it has cooled slightly, if it has not cooled, the chocolate chips will melt like mine did, oops!!!)
- Stir all of the ingredients together until well coated
- Take a 9×9 baking dish and evenly spread your mixture throughout
- Refrigerate until solid
- Cut into bars and store in the fridge!
How easy is that!! This recipe was a bit on the expensive side because of the healthier options I chose to use, it cost me about $15 to make these bars. But I was also able to make 10 bars and still have ingredients left over to make more in the future. Usually, within a box of granola bars that you buy from the market, there are 6-8 bars.
I think in the future, I will use a bigger dish, just because these bars were a little thick and I plan on cutting them in half. I will also put wax paper in the dish to make it easier to remove from the dish and cut. Also, I learned that I needed to let the coconut oil, peanut butter, and honey cool for longer than 5 minutes. As you can see, all of my chocolate chips melted. So, there are a few things I would do differently next time. I may use this peanut butter mixture in the future and use it as the bottom layer of the granola and use honey to keep the granola and chocolate chips together. The great thing about granola bars is that you can put whatever you want into them! So this project was definitely a learning experience for me but I cannot wait to switch things up next time! They are super good though, you can’t beat chocolate or peanut butter, and in this recipe you have the best of both worlds!!!
Try these out and let me know what you think!!! ❤