I decided that I want to start experimenting with dog treats. I try to feed Bella the best types of dog food and treats that I can. I always read the ingredients label on everything I give her. But I after doing some research I wanted to make my own. I found out that I can make her treats with just 4 ingredients and immediately wanted to try these out. There are always weird things on the ingredients labels for pet food or treats and I am not about feeding her things that I have never heard of or that do not even sound like a type of food!!!
All you need is:
- Whole wheat flour
- Organic peanut butter
- Baking powder
- Skim milk
- Cookie cutters
- I found a package for about $5 at A.C Moore
- Parchment paper/ Aluminum Foil
- Cookie sheet
- If you have an electric mixer that would be great
- Me on the other hand I am trying to build some muscles so I will be mixing by hand
- Aka, I can’t afford the awesome mixer I want at the moment, lol.
- It does take a while by hand but it is worth it!!!
In your mixing bowl add:
- 1 cup of organic peanut butter
- 1 cup of skim milk
In a separate bowl, combine:
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- Then slowly add these ingredients to your peanut butter and skim milk mixture
- Then this is where you will grow your muscles!! Combine all of your ingredients together until they are throughly mixed!
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- On your parchment paper or cutting board, sprinkle a small amount of your whole wheat flour, then roll out your dough to your desired doggie treat thickness! Use your adorable cookie cutters and cut out your doggie treat shapes.
- Place on your greased or aluminum foil covered cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes and keep sealed in an air tight container.
I bought an airtight mason jar container to keep the dog treats in so they will stay fresh. The batch I made ended up making 22 treats. All but one would fit into the container I gave it to Bella, and this was the result, the “I want more please!!!” look. I cannot deal with how adorable she is!!!
Please keep in mind your dogs own dietary needs or restrictions when making these!!! If you are unsure you could always ask your vet and do your research. These treats did not take very long to make and probably cost $15 to make included the cookie cutters! I hope that you try these out and that your furry friends love them ❤